Teeth whitening treatment is nothing new, and almost every other person goes to their dentist to get the treatment done. The purpose behind this is to get rid of those yellowish stains from the teeth and restore the natural color of the teeth.
The process can be carried out at home as well as in the dental office. For the Teeth whitening treatment at home, you can ask your dentist to prepare trays with whitening gel that can be used at home. There are over-the-counter kits available for home use too. Do you think you know all the essentials of teeth whitening treatment? If not, then just read on to learn more.
Teeth whitening is one of the most common cosmetic procedures. The process of teeth whitening involves the removal of stains from the teeth’ surface so that they get back to their natural pearly color. With advancing technologies, whitening treatment procedures have become more sophisticated and effective. It is essential to go to an expert to get better results and always refer to your dentist. The cost of Teeth whitening treatment can vary based on the kind of procedure as well as the level of whitening done.
Why Do Our Teeth Turn Yellow With Time?
- Well, the enamel of the teeth, which is the inner surface, can get stoned over time because of the food and drinks consumed.
- The common causes of tooth discoloration are drinking excessive coffee, tea, colas, smoking cigarettes, and chewing tobacco.
- Tooth discoloration can take place due to any damage during the development of permanent teeth and a high intake of fluoride during childhood.
- Also, with age, the enamel gets thinner and exposes the layer of dentin below, and the dentin can easily get stained when it meets certain foods.
Procedures for Teeth Whitening-
Now that you know the common causes of discoloration, it is essential to learn about the common procedures for teeth whitening. The dentist will first photograph the teeth to discuss the condition and educate you on the process and the costs of teeth whitening treatment. He will first clean the tooth before starting the procedure for teeth whitening.
There are different procedures for teeth whitening, and some of the most common and effective are as follows.
- Bleaching – The process of bleaching for the Teeth whitening treatment involves rubbing a gel-like solution on your teeth. The light thrown by the dentist activates it, and there are minimal discomfort and no pain during the process. However, one needs to sit still and keep their mouth open with a lip and tongue retractor. The bleaching process may take about an hour.
- Porcelain Veneers – Porcelain veneers are more expensive and consult your dentist beforehand about the exact price of teeth whitening treatment. These are small porcelain coverings that are not at all painful to get attached. However, some patients may feel their teeth to get more sensitive to temperature after the procedure. Once fitted, the Porcelain veneers can last for decades.
- Dental Strips – Another popular tooth whitening treatment are dental strips, which are fixed to the teeth with a whitening agent. These procedures are more suitable to get rid of mild staining. Some people may find those strips a bit large and irritating, but it depends on the size of the teeth. The strips should be worn for 10 to 30 minutes, and it may take weeks to see the results.
The Teeth whitening treatment cost and results can vary based on the kind of treatment. Those effects can indeed last longer if you follow your dentists’ instructions carefully and maintain good dental habits. However, one should keep in mind that the results can vary from one person to another.