Have you ever noticed a coating on the items we use or come across on daily basis? What are those coverings or coatings? Why are they there? Do we really need them? We will learn about one of the methods through which we coat the products we use. Besides, we will understand why we need the coatings and how durable they are. Today, our motto is to understand the Powder coating technique. We will dive into how does the powder coating process work. So, let us start.
What Do You Understand By The Term Powder Coating?
Powder Coating is a popular finishing process based on powder to coat several materials. The powder used to coat items made from pigments, leveling agents, polymer resins, flow modifiers, combined and curatives, and more. An electrostatic gun is commonly used to coat the articles in the process. Nowadays, you will find every third item is powder-coated in your home.
How Does The Powder Coating Process Work?
The following are the basic steps to powder coat any substances in simple words:
- First, we need to prepare the surface of the body that needs to be coated. There should be no oil or grease on the surface.
- We melt all the ingredients mentioned in the last section and mix them.
- Next, we have to cool the mixture and ground it until it gets the flour like texture..
- This powder gets filled in the gun.
- The gun charges the powder and sprays it over the metallic substances on the ground.
- Then, we take the coated article and place it in an oven.
- Next, the heat makes the coat ready and sturdy. It also gives beautiful finishing to your item.
- You also have to pay attention to the temperature and amount of time you keep the substance in there.
For How Long Does The Powder Coating Last?
In our day-to-day life, we come across plenty of powder-coated things news. However, have you seen the coating diminishing over time? Let us see how does the powder coating work in terms of durability.
- You can see them protecting the machinery from wear and tear, and they last as long as the machine.
- In household articles, we find them more durable than paint coatings.
- The products coated with powder get the ability to resist UV radiations, chemicals, extreme weather conditions, and moisture.
- Their thickness and consistency reduce the risks of scratches up to a great extent.
- They are highly durable and eco-friendly.
To sum it up, we have figured out an eco-friendly, cost-effective, and highly durable finishing process as an alternative to metal finishing or paint finishing.
What Are The Advantages Of Powder Coating?
After sealing with topics like how does the Powder Coating process work, we can now move on to its advantages. We have mentioned a few considerable points for you:
- The powder coating process is highly efficient. Only a single coat can do the job and minimize the expenses.
- They provide an aesthetic look to the products and suit those who have an artistic temperament.
- The items coated with powder coating are eco-friendly as powder coating does not include harmful chemicals.
As we discussed several factors about powder coating, now you know why you should choose powder coating. Besides, there are a few other complicated ways that we learned above on how does the powder coating work. You might also like to know that powder coating can get applied to non-metallic substances like MDF as well. Powder coating is on the rise, and still developing day by day. What are your thoughts on it?